Monday 23 November 2015

Exploring self love

I'm working away, right now, on the topic of self love.

According to my notes from Shawna's program, 'self love represents feelings of kindness, acceptance, forgiveness and compassion towards oneself.'

I find this interesting, for a couple of reasons.

One, I am working so very hard to build these skills into my kiddos' DNA. I ask them to use kind words, accept classmates despite their quirks, forgive each other and be patient with themselves as they learn new things at school and in life. I hope these life lessons will result in kids who genuinely care about others, empathize with their friends and learn patience in the face of adversity.

Two, I am terrible at this. I am severely deficient in forgiveness for myself on bad days, and I struggle every. single. day. to accept my new body and the words which come out of my mouth when annoyed or angry with my kids.

Shawna's notes suggest that a lack of self-love largely influences our ability to follow an authentic path. This makes sense to me,  as I feel discomfort with my current self.

So.
I am teaching my kiddos one thing.
But living another in my head.
Hmm.

It's time to change this.

This is terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment